Saturday, August 20, 2011

Burn, Hollywood, burn

I don't mean this literally, as I have friends in LA whom I would prefer not to roast.

However. I have just learned that the aforementioned Hollywood is apparently remaking my All-Time Favorite Movie: "Blade Runner."

This should not happen. Not now, not ever. The original (and its many edits) is brilliant. Its imagining of the future--the now quickly approaching 2019, specifically--was nominated for two Emmys. The story is well-paced and philosophically significant; the music is interesting; the cast well-chosen; the acting occasionally brilliant.

This is a bad one, the worst yet. I need the old blade runner, I need your magic.

But of course these days its risky to make a movie with too novel of an idea, I guess, so they're headin' back to the well.

Sometimes this can turn out pleasantly; the Coen Brothers' "True Grit" is a good example. But for the most part, the trend is annoying at best and especially frustrating for people who love the original artwork.

We'll see what happens. Sometimes people say things like "We're doing a sequel to Top Gun," which ultimately go nowhere. Even as an idea, though, this is an affront to good moviemaking.

1 comment:

Sir Conrad said...

Transvanguardia agrees 1000%. Hollywood re-makes too many films when there is a vast ocean of literature awaiting the transformation of the printed word to teh screen.