Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I guess it's kind of like Method acting, but with swords

I have a confession to make. When I was a teenager--despite an active social life, participation in sports, a healthy appreciation for live music and shenaniganry--I played role-playing games with my friends. (all of whom, its worth noting, have grown up to be productive members of society, with families and everything)

Mostly it was an excuse to stay up late, swear and tell stories in which our characters were world-saving badasses. And who doesn't enjoy a little badassery? Another game we played a lot wasn't role-playing at all, but a board game sheer mayhem and destruction featuring walking tanks.

But all of it was fun. And extremely informal. And not taken seriously.

In other words, 180 degrees from this:



Yeah. Not sure what to say here except that A) It looks like a well-made documentary and B) At least the subjects are getting some fresh air. I'm not judging, it looks like they're having a lot of fun, and that's good, but... I dunno. It is my opinion that some things in life, like games, aren't meant to be taken so seriously.

That might explain why I'm so terrible at cribbage. Average at backgammon, though--thanks, Pete!

2 comments:

Scott Parker said...

If you're interested in a LARP documentary, you simply have to check out the amazing Darkon. I was completely blown away by it. It's epic.

M. Gants v4.0 said...

I believe it is your destiny to watch this if you like this kind of jack-assery. Hehe.