Thursday, November 12, 2009

How living abroad enhances my dorkiness

First of all, I had a nice post about a Disco Camel all queued up and ready to go, but for some reason my phone stopped being able to e-mail photos. So that bit of glitter will have to wait.

As for the subject of this post, it's simple. I have written at some length about my weakness for barbecue, basketball and space flight, not necessarily in that order. Being a dork, I think, means knowing tons of useless information about a subject... possibly a subject that excites you but not, you know, the rest of the world.

Although I'm not alone in enjoying basketball, I was probably--literally--the only person in the Middle East to have awakened at 5 a.m. to watch an exhibition game.

How do you say "posterized" in Arabic?

Of course, as the above clip indicates, it was in many ways worth it. I was tired (and went back to sleep after the game was over), but there is something cool, maybe even extra cool, about waking up early to watch a sporting event. I felt the same way about 3 a.m. World Cup matches. And with any luck, inshallah as they say here, there will be more highlights as the season progresses.

No comments: