Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A branch from the tree of happiness

PBS, let's face it, is the source of most of the televised enlightenment in the United States. You have great news programs. Documentaries. Children's programming that is more than saccharine pablum (an oxymoron I just invented but think is pretty cool).

If "The Office," "Flight of the Conchords" and "Battlestar Galactica" were on PBS, DirecTV and I would be going through a messy breakup.

But the crowning achievement of public television, a resource that could easily have stimulated a healthy economy and brought peace to the Middle East, is bringing one man--and his Afro--to the small screen. I speak, of course, of Bob Ross.

Yeah, I have some pretty solid childhood memories of the guy. But in case you think this is just sepia-toned recollection, witness this clip and--after you've stopped hugging the nearest puppy--tell me that painting happy trees and puffy clouds isn't the best therapy your tax dollars can buy.

Bob Ross - Deep Forest Lake


Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go find some titanium white and a hair pick.

No comments: