Thursday, July 23, 2009

Posterizing "posterized"

LeBron James has lost games. He has missed shots, turned the ball over, fouled other players and made bad decisions. So what? Even Ted Williams struck out.

So why is it such a big deal that some random basketball player dunked on him? Such a big deal that James' people apparently tried to seize all the video of the dunk? It's not even that vicious.



Slam meh.

Who is going to put that on a poster? It would be like tacking a picture of a Ford Taurus to your wall.

So let's talk real posterization. To me, that means having the ball bounced off your head or finding yourself face-deep in the dunker's shorts. To wit:


Poor Scottie Reynolds.* **

Or the classic, John Starks dunking on Michael Jordan:


Say hello to my little friend. (actually 6-foot-5)

The point is this: I have no personal opinion on LeBron James in general. I've never met him. I can't dunk on him. But come on, if you're the best in the world, you don't need to pretend that you're bulletproof. Just shake it off, say something about the other guy's sister and hit a three-pointer right in his face. That's what I would do.***

* Carl, be thankful North Carolina didn't make the mix here.
** Foreign friends who don't watch much basketball, this is a great example of a well-designed play.
***if my range didn't max out at about 18 feet.

No comments: