Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I'm proud to be an American...

... where at least I know I'm free, and that my countrymen spent $27 million on a museum "proving" creationism.
For a group of paleontologists, a tour of the Creation Museum seemed like a great tongue-in-cheek way to cap off a serious conference.

But while there were a few laughs and some clowning for the camera, most left more offended than amused by the frightening way in which evolution -- and their life's work -- was attacked.

"It's sort of a monument to scientific illiteracy, isn't it?" said Jerry Lipps, professor of geology, paleontology and evolution at University of California, Berkeley.

I mean, that's just painful. I knew about this place before, but the silliness is driven home by the reactions of the scientists touring it. And I know silliness is not a uniquely American trait, but geez, you know, in a country where my modest word-slinger's salary is the equivalent of eight taxi drivers', misspent funds--not to mention misguided ideals--sting just a little bit more.

But hey. It's Canada Day. So let's all just take a deep breath, pop open a Molson and relax. Ten million years from now, we can look back on all of this and laugh.

No comments: