Friday, June 26, 2009

Apparently Michael Jackson dying is big news worldwide

I know this because tomorrow's The National will have several stories devoted to him, and BBC News spent a full half-hour on his death during the morning broadcast. Meanwhile there are still some unhappy people in Iran, but what are you gonna do?

I'll tell you what I did--I had a hamburger with fried egg and beets on it. And failed to buy a Mini DisplayPort-to-RCA cable.

I won't try to pretend that Jackson's death isn't a big deal in terms of entertainment news. But I also won't try to pretend that he or his work had any great impact on my life. I remember vaguely Jackson, at the height of a "Thriller"-induced wave of adulation, causing a huge stir simply by being in Kansas City. A family friend produced "KC [hearts] Michael" stickers. Arrowhead was introduced to the moonwalk. I danced my goofy Gerry-as-a-small-child dance to his songs at weddings (note: this is strikingly similar to the Gerry-as-an-adult dance) and, much later, wondered what had gnawed on his nose.

These are my memories of Michael Jackson. Worthy of massive news coverage? Debatable. Worthy of a Friday afternoon blog post? Why not.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i'm interested in the hamburger with beets on it. is that a good combo?