Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Several hours after "after tomorrow"

That's when my stove arrived. Shockingly, the driver had a hard time finding my apartment. I wonder what could help with that... oh, I know, ADDRESSES.

A brief recreation of the conversation, which, by the way, occurred as I was walking to work two hours after they were supposed to deliver the thing.

DRIVER
Mr. Matthew?

ME
Yes?

DRIVER
We are from Carrefour. We are coming with your cooker.

ME
OK....

DRIVER
What is your address?

I mentally bang my head against a mental wall. I know how this conversation is going to go.

ME
It is the Budget building. In Tankar Mai.

DRIVER
Dubai!?

ME
No. Tankar Mai. The neighborhood in Abu Dhabi.

DRIVER
Near Delma Street?

ME
Yes, near Delma Street. By Muroor Road. If you are going toward airport on Muroor, turn right on 15th, then right, then go to Spike of Prosperity.

DRIVER
Muroor?

ME
OK, if you are going toward airport, Budget building is on your right.

DRIVER
OK, no problem, turn right on Muroor. (hangs up)

25 minutes later, totally unsurprised to find myself still alone, I hit redial.

ME
It's Mr. Matthew. You have my cooker? Where are...

DRIVER
Yes, sir, looking for parking.

About 10 minutes after THAT, a guy appears down the block wheeling a large cardboard box on a dolly. The part of the box labeled "this side up" is quite clearly facing down. I have no idea where they put their truck, but I hope it wasn't Dubai.

Anyway, the end result was this:

Shiny, new, and ideally not leaking any gas.

A small victory. But a victory that will cook food. And now this chapter of my life can come to a close, at least until I attempt to make something in the oven. Which I am planning to do after tomorrow.

No comments: