Wednesday, June 24, 2009

How do you say "GOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLL!" in Arabic?

A couple of days ago, the U.S. men's soccer team somewhat miraculously trounced Egypt in the Confederations Cup in South Africa.


How the U.S. rolls (the ball into the net).

Love the shove in the back at the beginning of the first goal, by the way. Anyhoo, perhaps even more miraculously, Italy lost to Brazil 3-0. The goal differential (the U.S. won 3-0 as well) meant that the U.S., which already had lost badly to the highly regarded Italian and Brazilian squads, was headed to the next round.

Italy, meanwhile, was headed home. Awwww. Such a shame.

So tonight I will try to find someplace that will show the Americans' next match, a likely humiliating defeat at the hands of world power Spain. But it will be fun. The last time I watched a U.S. game abroad was actually IN Spain, when I was a teenager on an exchange trip with my high school. This time, at least, I can buy beer legally.

No comments: